Mastery and fun (Crochet!)
Yesterday, Corbin finally mastered doing a crochet chain. He is so excited he is ready to share it with anyone who is willing listen. He wants to go to the Yarn Barn downtown Saturday (maybe today) and get himself his own hook and skein of yarn.
He had Stephen make a few pull skeins of yarn I had on hand. He set himself up with his own project bag, with his own pair of snips to trim yarn, (MY! new) bamboo hook and yarn. He is pleased as punch.
I have a rainbow of crochet chain bracelet made by Corbin.

I'm having difficulty naming this attitude he has with this. He seems so confident and pleased with himself despite the fact that he is still struggling to move beyond a chaining to single or double crochet. Whatever it is .... I love it. As far as he is concerned he can crochet.


2 Comments:
How cool! My six-year-old, Carissa, is interested in various types of sewing and has taken on a few simple projects. I'm not very skilled with my hands (yet) so it's kind of fun to learn some new things as I help her pursue her dreams.
Two other moms encouraged me by saying their lack of skill has in no way hindered their daughters from becoming skilled seamstresses. The important thing is our willingness to let them jump in there and try their hands at stuff that's exciting to them -- WHEN they're excited about it.
And you're so right in honouring your son's assessment of his own progress. I'm glad my kids get to grow up free from the grading system. In the real world, you either know it or you don't ... and you should be the one to decide how deeply you want to delve into something.
Yup I agree with him, he can. Your bracelets look pretty thick so he may have figured this out for himself already, but this is what I did when I was a kid. I would make one really, really, long chain with a hook. Then finishing off, I would crochet that long chain by hand or bigger hook, Then to finish it off I would do it a third time. It would look like a fishermans chain when I was done. I was sooo proud of myself. I didn't learn to do any other stitches until I got into my 20s.
Post a Comment
<< Home